Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Your Husband Can’t Read Your Mind

Actually, no one can. Yet this is one of the biggest myths surrounding romance and marriage . “If he really loves me, he knows what I want.” How can your husband or boyfriend know that?

He didn’t learn it from his mother, who probably behaved the same way you are and didn’t ask for what she wanted or needed either. His father may have been clueless about what his mother wanted for the same reason.

So how is a man going to “just know” what we want or need unless we tell him? And how will he know that we want or need it again, and again, unless we tell him that too? We women instinctively understand each other because we can more easily put ourselves in each other’s shoes.

On the other hand, have you ever heard a man complain about his wife by saying, “ If she really loves me, she’d know what I want”?

Speaking up about what we want or need isn’t the problem; it’s how we do that; what we say and how we say it. Ask yourself this: If I were asking my best friend for something I wanted or needed, how would I phrase it? Doesn’t your husband deserve to be treated with an equal amount of respect and politeness?

No comments:

Post a Comment