Saturday, May 28, 2011

Mark Zuckerberg Expands His Horizons

It used to be enough to share your food with those less fortunate. Or say grace before dinner. Or become a vegetarian in recognition of the consciousness of the animals who die to feed us.

Not anymore.Welcome to the entrepreneurial ‘kill your own supper’ crowd of Silicon Valley.Who can blame them? It can get boring running a billion dollar company. Consider Mark Zuckerberg, one of the richest persons on earth, who is interested in broadening his horizons and gives himself a new challenge annually.

Last year, it was learning Chinese. This year, it’s learning about gratitude for the food he eats. In an interview with Fortune magazine, Zuckerberg explained, "I think many people forget that a living being has to die for you to eat meat, so my goal revolves around not letting myself forget that and being thankful for what I have.”

How does he do that? “I’ve basically become a vegetarian since the only meat I'm eating is from animals I've killed myself."(Hey, this is a busy man.)

Progressing from his first kill of a lobster, which he found emotionally difficult, to a chicken and then a goat, Zuckerberg said, "The most interesting thing was how special it felt to eat it after having not eaten any seafood or meat in a while," he said.

You’ve got to give a man credit for reaching out beyond his natural talents. Software is one thing, but life is another.

http://tinyurl.com/3ul43be

No comments:

Post a Comment